Barricaded man ‘peacefully surrenders’ after standoff in far north Bexar County, sheriff says

Anthony Tijerina, 40, is charged with two counts of aggravated assault against a public servant

Anthony Tijerina, 40, is charged with two counts of aggravated assault against a public servant. (Bexar County Sheriff's Office)

BEXAR COUNTY, Texas – A man was arrested after he entered his neighbor’s home, fired at deputies and barricaded himself in a north Bexar County neighborhood on Thursday night, according to Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar.

Anthony Tijerina, 40, is charged with two counts of aggravated assault against a public servant, Salazar said in a news conference Friday. No one was injured.

Recommended Videos

The incident happened in the 6200 block of Waldon Walk, not far from Evans Road and TPC Parkway.

Salazar said they initially received a call from Tijerina, saying he believed someone was following him.

At some point, Salazar said, Tijerina entered a neighbor’s home, where two women and two children were inside.

Tijerina was “talking jibberish” and pacing around, and the women kept him calm, Salazar said.

When deputies arrived and entered the home, Salazar said the man began shooting at them with an AK-47-style rifle. The women, kids and deputies were able to escape from the house unharmed.

At some point, the man returned to his home and fired a rifle into the air, Salazar said.

One deputy — a 10-year veteran — returned fire, Salazar said. No one was injured and that deputy was placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

BCSO began evacuating nearby residents as a precaution.

Salazar said the standoff ended peacefully and without injury. A rifle was found inside the house, Salazar said.

BCSO said a rifle was found inside a home after a standoff in north Bexar County on Thursday, May 9, 2024. (Bexar County Sheriff's Office)

Listen to Sheriff Salazar’s press conference below:

BCSO working a scene involving a barricaded subject in far Northeast Bexar County on Thursday night. (KSAT)

About the Authors

Mason Hickok is a digital journalist at KSAT. He graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio with a communication degree and a minor in film studies. He also spent two years working at The Paisano, the independent student newspaper at UTSA. Outside of the newsroom, he enjoys the outdoors, reading and watching movies.

John Paul Barajas is a reporter at KSAT 12. Previously, he worked at KRGV 5 in the Rio Grande Valley. He has a degree from the University of Houston. In his free time, he likes to get a workout in, spend time on the water and check out good eats and drinks.

Recommended Videos