SAN ANTONIO – Did you know there are farms in the Hill Country that let you pick your own produce?
It’s a great way to get some exercise, be outdoors, support your local farmer and get some healthy snacks.
Not all Hill Country farms are open quite yet but Sweet Berry Farm is opening this Saturday, Feb. 25, for strawberry picking season, which typically lasts until about mid-May. Sweet Berry Farm is located at 1801 FM 1980 in Marble Falls.
Here are a few places in the Hill Country area that offer guests an opportunity to walk through an orchard and pick their own fruit:
- This orchard offers pick-your-own produce opportunities throughout the year for a number of different things. Strawberry season will start in March but orchard officials have not yet posted a set opening date. The orchard is located at 8301 East Hwy 290 in Fredericksburg.
- This farm has seasonal fruit for visitors to pick but it varies by season. KH Farms, which grows strawberries for the Poteet Strawberry Festival every year, is located at 200 W Tank Hollow Road in Poteet. Last year the farm opened in late March for pick-your-own strawberries. An opening date for 2023 has not yet been announced.
- Strawberry season will return to Kosub Farm on March 18. The farm store will have freshly baked strawberry breads, shortcakes, pies, brownies, kolaches and more. There are also barrel train rides for kids. Kosub Farm is located at 3425 Coble Road in Poteet.
- This farm has a variety of fruits to pick year-round. Dates for the 2023 season have not yet been announced but in the past, the orchard has offered apple, blackberry, fig and peach picking. Love Creek Orchards is located at 14024 State Highway 16 N in Medina.
- SoTex Farms in Poteet is open for harvesting for the 2023 season! Located at 2425 Strawberry City Road (how appropriate), this farm isn’t just for fruit lovers. They also sell a variety of eggs — chicken, duck and quail eggs.